2015 marks the second year for The IBEW Local Union 1049 Golf Scholarship Fund. Business Manager Don Daley and President Ed Conklin created this award to help Local 1049 members and their families gain the advantage of higher education while promoting the best values of the Labor Movement.
It is no secret that college tuition costs can bring crushing debt upon our children. This award is meant to bring some measure of economic relief. Each year, the Scholarship Committee closely screens candidates for consideration. Only High School Seniors having a GPA of at least 3.0 are permitted to apply and applicants are limited to children of current active members who have five (5) or more years of continuous good standing. In addition to meeting this criteria, every applicant must write an essay on the topic of “What Does Brotherhood and Solidarity Mean to Me”
The Scholarship Committee consisting of Business Manager Don Daley, President Ed Conklin, Recording Secretary Tom Dowling, Senior Business Representative Pat Guidice, Director Jeannine Devlin and Union Steward/Journeyman Lineman Don Trella judiciously examined the submissions and granted five (5) $1,000 scholarships. This year’s scholarship recipients are:
- Colleen Davis –Daughter of Steve Davis, Asplundh Construction, Gas Division
- Thomas Dascole –Son of Thomas Dascole, National Grid, Facilities Management
- Salvatore Giorlando – Son of Nicola Giorlando, PSEG LI, Network Strategy
- Leanne Isabelle – Daughter of Daniel Isabelle, PSEG LI, Electric Service
- Thomas O’Leary – Son of William O’Leary, Local 1049 Business Staff, Organizer
Thank you to all applicants and from all of us at IBEW Local 1049, please accept our best wishes to you in your studies and all your future endeavors.